Too Wicked to Marry (Avon Romantic Treasure)

Too Wicked to Marry - Susan Sizemore I really wanted to like this book... from the description, it seemed to contain Regency romance and spies - a combination I like. But the execution of the book just didn't work for me. It seemed as if I'd missed a book prior to this one - the one that established the MacLeods of Skye Court as spies... the one that told more about Harriet's parents and her great-aunt. As far as I can tell, no, I didn't miss a prequel here. *sigh*The book focuses too much on the attraction between the Hero and Heroine - neither of whom tries too hard to be a hero or heroine until almost the very end of the book. He's too wrapped up in making her pay for not telling him the truth about being a spy who was to watch over him during his diplomatic missions, and now in the guise she's asked him to play, he's too busy trying to make her pay with her body. She's been so attracted to him (in love, we're to believe) for so long, that she practically loses sight of her mission (to save her brother) by swooning in his arms and giving way to passion. OK, so the "disguise" is that she's his mistress at a naughty country home party. But the author spends too much time discussing how our Heroine is being introduced to the ways of love (even losing her virginity as part of the bargain). I lost interest, and yet, alas, I kept reading.Any professional spy, especially one as professional as Harriet, wouldn't lose sight of her mission, despite her feelings. Yes, I realize that's part of the charm of the book. And I could go with it if the book spent less time in the bedroom and more time on the mission.Sorry, just didn't do it for me. And while Kit Fox (her brother) might be an interesting subject, I'm not sure I can trust the author. She's out to titillate rather than tell a story. And there are too many other good books - good story and better titillation - than this.