His, Unexpectedly

His, Unexpectedly - Susan  Fox 2.5-3.5 starsThis book was... difficult, thus my vast rating range. There are definitely things I didn't like, and definitely things I did like.I think that of the sisters, Jenna is the one I have the hardest time liking and relating to. There's a lot to admire about her "live for today" and "the universe will bring what you need" attitude. But it's obviously forced, and the more we get to know Jenna, the more we see underneath her almost desperate attempt to be such a Free Spirit.Likes:* I like the connection between Mark and Jenna, but see Dislikes below, too. What I like is that she's able to draw him out - there's that balance between them that this author is so in favor of. This is really reflected in the Yin and Yang of Mark and Jenna's journey.* In some ways, their relationship reminds me of Damien and Theresa. There's hope for the future, but not a slam-dunk-no-issues-we're-totally-committed at the end. Maybe a bit more pressure on Mark and Jenna, because of her decision to join his crew in Thailand, but more hope than it's a done deal. That was one of my nits about Kat and Nav. Yes, they've known each other for 2 years, but there are still a lot of issues to work out; and a love relationship is always different from a friend relationship - sometimes being friends for so long even hinders that switch.* I like the feel of this book. As much as I can't relate to Jenna, I do like the freedom theme; it's so different from my well-ordered life. And even though Mark is flexible, it's a change for him, too. For once, it's the man who has to go-with-the-flow, and it's nice to see the shoe on the other foot. (Just full of cliches today, aren't I?)* I like the sister bonding. We can really see these 4 sisters coming together, finding their own healing, finally taking responsibility for themselves, and being more flexible and open with the other sisters. Even the relationship with the mother is improving.Dislikes:* The "magical" connection between Mark and Jenna: As cool as it is (and very romance-book), it seems hoky. It gives the author an excuse to force intimacy and connection between these two people in a very compressed time period. OK, Theresa and Damien had even less time together; but somehow that worked. It was more like 2 mature people finding a match and pursuing it. But maybe my perception is colored by my not being sure I even like Jenna and knowing I can't really relate to her and her style. And while the quickness of their "love" seems right, I almost think that the "magic" stuff takes away from the organic progression of this relationship; it's obvious these two have a big attraction and have a good chance to be each other's The One, but somehow the hokiness of the "magic" involved when they kiss takes away from that.* Again, the parents or grandparents taking the majority of the blame for the flaws, suspicions, and problems with relationships that the H/H have. Yes, I understand the Nature/Nurture thing, and those who raise us definitely influence our lives and our style of expressing ourselves and affection. But it seems as if the author puts too much emphasis on this. Jenna made the choices she did, and she chose not to share with her family colored by her own perception of being the "screw-up" - thinking that her family wouldn't accept or love her if they knew the truth. But that's Jenna's issue, not her parents nor her sisters. Mark's reaction to his upbringing seems more understandable.-----------On to book #4.