The Warrior Trainer (The Stones of Destiny, #1)

The Warrior Trainer (The Stones of Destiny, #1) - Gerri Russell 3.5+ starsI really liked this book, but the main characters go through such inner turmoil. At times, they both seem "stuck" in their heads... and so the book feels "stuck" at times, too. The big reveal isn't such a big reveal - not if you're into mysteries. But it's still a great moment!The training scenes are wonderful! I love that Scotia uses Strategy as one of her biggest weapons. And that she "reads" body language so well. Scotia reminds me of Xena: Warrior Princess, except that this Heroine/Warrior definitely has a softer side that shows through right away. Her history is so... tragic. And the responsibilities and burdens she feels are so heavy. It's tough to imagine WHY she didn't ask Maeve and Brodie earlier about why none of her "people" are coming to train with her. That's puzzling. I really like Ian. He's got a lot going on in his head, too. And it does get weary, him trying to decide whether to stay or go. But, of course, he does what he needs to do when it's time. And he uses Scotia's lessons well. As does his brother. Good book. Interesting tangle of history, if you read the author's notes. It almost sounds as if the real Scotia and her ancestors could be tied to the Milesians, who are the fabled "conquerors" of the Fae - or at least the humans who forced the Fae to make the Compact with Man. I wondered if this author would pursue that storyline, but I've already started book 2, and it doesn't appear so. But it's interesting stuff....