A Hidden Fire (Elemental Mysteries, #1)

A Hidden Fire (Elemental Mysteries, #1) - Elizabeth   Hunter 3.5 starsI had to deduct 1/2 a star, because there are still so many secrets left untold at the end of the book. And because, frankly, the book dragged at the beginning and during what should have been an exciting sequence that led to the climax at the end.But the book has me hooked - strong, well-written characters. The author shows, rather than tells, so who and what Giovanni is is up to the reader to discover; the clues are there (show), but the author doesn't fall into what's easy and simply say it point-blank on the page (tell). It works. While this is the 1st book in a 4-book series (hoping it doesn't go past that), it seems as if more of the secrets could and should be told. I suppose, in a way, I'm greedy; the author does give us information about Gio and his friends and what the elementals in the series title means. And we have a better understanding of what happened to B's (Beatrice's) father and who the bad guy is in all this. And yet... there's the feeling that so much is yet untold.The romantic tension between B and Gio is good. It's frustrating at times, but it's meant to be. I like it that there isn't a falling-into-lust-tearing-clothes-off scene. It might work, but the author's restraint with these 2 characters feels more realistic and true to who she's established them to be as persons.Love the comic relief with Cadwyn and his dog. Love the cat, Doyle. Love B's grandmother and Caspar, and I especially love them together.