Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)

Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) - Kevin Hearne 3.5-4 starsEnjoyed this book - getting caught up in this "world". Atticus still seems impetuous and "young" despite his 2100 years.Really love the funny stuff with his neighbors - both the guy across the street and the widow down the road. Loved the stuff with his new Druid trainee, too. I can see that G will be an asset to the series. And of course, his dog Oberon is amazing!Sometimes, the author seems to try to impress by breaking in with really big words, just out of nowhere. It's fine to improve the vocabularies of your readers, but thank goodness for the dictionary feature in Kindle! The obscurity of the words and the downright random feel to when he chooses to use them are a mystery tome.Learning about a whole new pantheon of gods - I was never particularly "up" on the Celtic gods. I didn't even realize that the Tuatha de Danan (sp?) were supposed to be Irish gods. I always thought they were the Fae, plain and simple. Or not so simple, as it turns out from reading this book.I appreciate The Morrigan a lot - more than in the prequel short stories (chronologically speaking by the numbers). She's quite the character! And Brigid, too. I appreciate how the author keeps the capriciousness of the "gods" up-front-and-center, regardless of which pantheon they belong to. The encounters with Mary are... dunno the word. Perhaps a bit amusing and disturbing at the same time? I'm not Catholic, so I've never seen Mary as a god, exactly; but I suppose that if people pray to her (and to the Saints), that qualifies them, right? Coyote's and Atticus' discussion of the various forms of each of the gods, including Jesus are downright funny. And shows that "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy" once again.