Lying Season (Experiment in Terror, #4)

Lying Season (Experiment in Terror, #4) - Karina Halle 4.5 starsThere's SO MUCH in this book.... it's as beautiful as it is terrifying. There are many literal laugh-out-loud moments. And yet, it makes me want to cry. Perry finds herself and then loses it all. Dex finally gives it all only to find himself withholding it all and crushing everything, again.================1st read: March 22, 2013As much as I hate to say it, THIS WAS FINALLY the book I expected a couple of books ago... certainly in terms of Perry and Dex and a focus on their SHOW. This time, they both seemed to be ready and able to do their job, despite all the spooky, creepy, horrific things going on around them with ghosts. They actually had CAMERAS and EQUIPMENT recording while the creepy was happening!But, this is also one of the hardest books, so far. Dex and Perry come to a real dramatic climax in this book, no pun intended. Perry learns much more about Dex and his medication and his past; whether she puts it to the best use is in doubt.Perry travels to Seattle, home of Shownet (the webisode "empire" backing Experiment in Terror on the web and paying both Dex and Perry) for two reasons: 1. To film another show in Seattle, in a mental institution purported to be haunted; the institution hasn't ever allowed ghost hunters or paranormal equipment or people to film. It's a coup for Dex. 2. For the Shownet Christmas party. And, oh joy, Perry is invited to spend an entire week as a guest in the new apartment that Dex shares with his girlfriend, Jennifer, and their new dog, a French bulldog named Harvey or Fat Rabbit, depending on whether you ask Dex or Jennifer.Perry is understandable horrified at spending time with Jennifer. On the principal alone that Dex and Jenn are in a relationship that's quite rocky and that Perry has feelings for Dex. And we're sure that Dex has feelings for Perry. If not, what's all the subtext and the little "scene" in the tent on D'Arcy Island about? When Perry first meets Jennifer, as much as she wants to hate her, she just can't. Jenn's being too nice to her. But that quickly goes by the wayside, and Perry begins to see the "real" Jennifer - spiteful, selfish, self-centered, and vain - take over. It's tough for the chemistry between Dex and Perry to be anything but obvious, and it's obvious that Jenn feels it, too. She's plain jealous, and she does whatever she can to make Perry's and Dex's lives miserable.In addition, Perry's being haunted by what seems to be Dex's ex-girlfriend, Abby - the one who had the car accident after getting drunk. The Abby that has history with both Dex and Max. And when Perry tries an experiment to switch out Dex's drugs with placebos, she discovers that Dex can and does see Abby, too. In fact, he's been taking the meds to prevent seeing ghosts! Dex figures that since Perry can see them, he doesn't want to. So all this stuff that she's been going through and seeing when Dex acts like she's crazy... well, major BA-BOOM moment between them. It's tempered only because Perry knows that Dex spent 2 years in a mental institution, and hey, his ex is stalking them.Add to that a new copycat show with ties to real TV is trying to take over Experiment in Terror's audience. The 2 hosts, a fitness guru and a so-called parapsychologist, are more than obnoxious. They find a way to hone in on the institution, even though they're not officially welcome - going so far as to leave Dex and Perry locked in the basement so that they can get footage for their own show.THEN add Perry's awareness of her own body and her own sex appeal to the other "cast" members of other Shownet shows, including Rebecca, Jenn's Wine Babe's co-host who not only hates Jennifer with a vengence but is a good friend of Dex's. The Christmas Party is unlike any other I've ever read about. And I found myself yelling - "GO Perry!"Unfortunately, the whole thing unravels in the absolutely worst way... and I was disappointed that, while there was brief mention about the happenings at D'Arcy Island, most of it was ignored. My heart ached for Perry and for Dex when this one was over. I'm not sure I'll like the next book...