Songs of Love & Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love

Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love - Diana Gabaldon, Carrie Vaughn, Jacqueline Carey, Jo Beverley, Gardner R. Dozois, Mary Jo Putney, Marjorie M. Liu, Melinda M. Snodgrass, Cecelia Holland, Peter S. Beagle, Yasmine Galenorn, Linnea Sinclair, M.L.N. Hanover, Tanith Lee, Neil Gaiman, Robin Hobb, George R.R. M Hard to categorize this book since it's an anthology of many popular authors. I confess I haven't read each story, only a few here and there, because my main object was to read the short story "A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows" by Diana Gabaldon about Roger's parents, Jerry and Dolly MacKenzie."A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows" - took me by surprise, which is a good thing. And a HUGE part of that was how she wove in 2 well-known characters and much of Roger's history (that we know about) into this short story without revealing who the characters are or what they're doing into the place and time that Jerry's stumbled into. If you've read "Echo in the Bone", you know who they are, though, and that delightful shock and surprise only whets your appetite for that darned 8th Outlander book "Written In My Own Heart's Blood" to be published all ready! But Ms. Gabaldon is so clever, and this story is so heart-wrenching... It's such a wonderful edition to the overall "family" that she's created.I did also read the Neil Gaiman story, "The Thing About Cassandra", and... I think I've been out of the Gaiman world far too long, because I was confused by the ending. I think I know where he was going with it all, I'm just lost in the world-within-a-world and still trying to figure out what was real and what wasn't. Which disconcerts me, because that rarely, if ever, happens. Oh well!There are some other stories I enjoyed in the book. But overall, the majority of the stories and authors aren't in my usual genres -- too dark. But it was worth reading for "A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows" by Diana Gabaldon.