Surrender Your Love: Hot & Steamy NA Romance, But...

Surrender Your Love  - J.C. Reed

Quick Look

"Hot" Scale: 4 out of 5 Flames - Steamy HOT

Recommended For: Fans of New Adult (NA) steamy contemporary romance with a touch of suspense (who don't mind committing to a series)

Genres: Erotic Romance, Contemporary, Mystery/Thriller/Suspense

Book Summary

(From Goodreads book blurb): Brooke Stewart, a realtor in New York, doesn’t do relationships. When she’s sent to a remote estate to finalize a real estate deal, she discovers her new boss is no other than the guy she left naked in bed.

Sexy, dangerously handsome, and arrogant Jett Mayfield attracts trouble, and women, like a lightning rod. But the night he meets Brooke he gets more than he bargained for. The green-eyed millionaire playboy isn’t used to taking no for an answer, and he isn’t about to start now.

When he proposes two months of no strings sex, Brooke is intrigued and accepts his proposal. Little does she know Jett’s determined to claim the one woman he can’t have, pulling her deeper into his dangerous world.

A man who doesn't take 'no' for an answer.
A woman afraid to surrender to love.
Two lives that are about to cross...and secrets laid bare

Lori's Review

In our moment of intimacy, I not only owned his lust and pleasure, he was mine.

While this is a HOT book with lots of steam and a major HUNK or a hero, there's some definite uneveness in this book... several phrases made me read them 2-3 times to be sure that I'd read them right. In other cases, I was just plain confused about the details of Brooke's unhappy past; I kept going back-and-forth trying to figure it out and piece it together. It annoyed me. Which is why I can't give this book more than 3 stars.

Don't get me wrong. 3.5 stars is a GOOD READ. This one teeters on the 3-3.5 star range, for the reasons I stated above.

Between the cliff-hanger ending and the seeming disconnect between the steamy Jett-Brooke scenes and the mystery of the Italian property and possible murder, this book is frustrating. IF YOU'RE NOT INTO HOT, STEAMY SEX SCENES, you probably won't be interested in anything but those scenes in this book. Heaven knows, I'm still confused about the details.

============
Brooke's past rules her life. Which is really sad, since she's barely in her 20s. Jett's introduction to Brooke is... cheesy and deceptive. I don't know WHY guys (or writers) think it's OK to be deceptive and misleading when you first meet them. Don't they understand that TRUST is a big deal, especially if you plan to work with or have a temporary sexual relationship with someone? And when we're talking a MASSIVE DECEPTION that involves millions of dollars, a murder mystery, and mansion in Italy... well, c'mon!

But there's a definite draw - a palpable chemistry between Jett and Brooke that burns up the pages. I think it's likely that the hot, steamy scenes took over my senses and lured me in, so that even with the cliff-hanger ending, I decided I needed to read the next book in the series to see how Jett pulls it all off.

Brooke is too naive for being such a jaded, cynical person. I suppose that being in her 20s, it's a lack of maturity and experience. But it seems out of place. And she gets really whiny and bitchy when she starts to realize what's what. Yet, she can't seem to stay away from Jett. Hmmm...

Jett's reasoning for what he's done and is doing seems... cheesy and off. Especially when we learn more about his family and his relationship with his father. At best, this "reason" is flimsy; I can't decide if it's more deception that we have to discover in book 2 or just a very thin, silly reason. A guy as hunky as Jett should have more than enough experience, charm, and ability to lure Brooke for much longer than he does - and to persuade her back to his side. But I suppose that's his flaw... that and his weird logic.

Again, if you're not into hot steamy sex scenes, then this book probably isn't for you, despite it's alluring mystery. Unless the 2nd (and potentially 3rd) book puts more of the pieces together, the mystery and the Jett-Brooke part just don't seem to add up.

Then again, I did buy and am reading book 2. What can I say?