Mr. Cavendish, I Presume (Two Dukes of Wyndham Series #2)

Mr. Cavendish, I Presume (Two Dukes of Wyndham Series #2) - 1.5-2 stars (being kind)This is a Julia Quinn book... and because I fell in love with her Bridgerton series, I fully expected to fall in love with this book, too. But I didn't. Not at all.It's not really the two main characters' faults: Thomas (Duke of Wyndham) or Amelia. As a matter of fact, I found them quite adorable and wished, for their sakes, that I could love this book. But I didn't. Not at all. (Did I mention that already?)The plot was so flimsy and full of holes... all kinds of innuendo and pieces that we're supposed to either suspect or know, based on the 1st book in this series, which I didn't read, because I was told the order didn't make a difference. The poor plot seems so obvious and so trite. But somehow, Thomas and Amelia give it spark.I can't say that I liked Grace or Jack much at all, but to be fair, their characters weren't given much attention in this book. Probably because the 1st book is supposed to be all about this same story, but from their point of view. And that fact that Grace & Jack, the new and real Duke of Wyndham, are engaged at the end of the book, and obviously sexually involved during the book, was... quite a let down. It seemed to crass and undignified and just... wrong. Love be hanged! These 2 people were obviously in nothing more than lust. Although to be fair to Grace, anything to get her away from that awful Dowager Duchess must have seemed like a good idea. In fact, I've convinced myself that Grace & Jack had some plot between them to bilk the Dowager Duchess out of her jewels or money or something, and the whole thing went awry. That would have been a much better story than what was written!I just couldn't care too much about the whole thing. I only cared about Thomas and Amelia, and despite the way the book ends, I felt a big let down at the finish. Something I've never EVER felt about the Bridgerton series. I can only surmise that this series was one of her first series, and Ms. Quinn was still finding her feet as a writer?Dunno. But thank goodness this was a Kindle ebook loan from my local library, or I would have asked for my money back.