Grand Sophy

The Grand Sophy - Georgette Heyer 4.5+ starsWhat a madcap romp! After reading it, I feel as if I've just watched a hilarious play, like "Noises Off" or "The Importance of Being Ernest" or "Blithe Spirit" or "Private Lives"!Why this book hasn't been turned into a play or a movie yet is beyond me. Great comedy is extremely difficult to write, and Ms. Heyer wrote one of the best comedies I've ever read in The Grand Sophy. There are a few troubling stereotypes in this book, quite acceptable for Ms. Heyer's time and in the Regency period; but nonetheless, it's disheartening to come across them. Goldhanger would be no less a villain if no ethnicity was attributed to him.However, I quite enjoyed how Sophy livened everything up and kept everyone around her almost spinning while she "helped" them find the best of life: family, true joy, love, laughter, and true friendship. The main characters are so well-drawn... and you have to love how well Sophie and her cousin Charles come to know one another -- so well, that by the end of the book, Charles has figured out Sophie and knows how to use that knowledge to his best advantage!The book is almost an exhausting read, shot-through with the best farce, satire, and at times, a bit of vaudeville. If you like Georgette Heyer books, you'll love this one!