First Comes Marriage (Huxtable Series)

First Comes Marriage - Mary Balogh Fun book - looks like a great kick-off to a series about the Huxtable family. I look forward to the next book in this series.I was a bit miffed at how long we waited to find out who Con is and what his relationship was to Jon and Elliot. But it was another good way to keep me intrigued. I'm betting there's more to come about Con in future Huxtable books -- I'd really like to know more about this embezzlement and the debaucheries that Con is accused of.The Huxtable family is fun, but I was glad that this first book was about Vanessa. She seems the least stereotypical of her family. * Margaret is almost tiresome as the eldest who takes her duty too seriously; now that she's "out" in Society, and Stephen is firmly under Elliot's wing, I'd think that she'd at least allow herself a bit more flirting* Katherine is the flighty, flirty one... sure, she's got a head on her shoulders, but she's supposed to be young and impressionable. Luckily, she's had a good upbringing so that her head isn't completely turned, and she's not as willful and selfish as her cousin, Cecily.* Stephen shows a lot of promise -- both for being an excellent, handsome man (with his own story!) but for the potential when he "sows his wild oats". I was so happy to find him truly grateful to his sisters, and his joy on being able to provide for them and give them so much was quite touching. If only his eldest sister, Margaret, would allow him to BE a man and accept the gift!* Vanessa, 2nd eldest I believe, is not the pretty one, like Katherine. She's not got the figure of her sister, Margaret. And she's used to being thought of as the Plain Jane - called so by her own father and mother before their deaths. But Vanessa is HAPPY. She's willing to be HERSELF and not to be bowed by anyone, least of all the imperious Elliot, Viscount Lyngate.The initial scenes between Elliot and Vanessa were priceless, as certainly the readers know that these two are destined for one another. I liked the way the two of them "fit" together, even when they argued. Despite Elliot not thinking that he was in love, he arranged 3 days of being completely alone with Vanessa as a sort of honeymoon. And it was idyllic -- a wonderful way for the two of them to get to know one another.I especially liked the way that Vanessa didn't behave like the "typical" female when Anna and Con attempted to manipulate her into quarreling with Elliot. Yes, she was hurt -- her insecurities over her lack of beauty and figure did plague her. But she was honest with Elliot, defusing the possibilities of a true break between them that could have caused irreparable damage and caused each to retreat back into his/her shell.So much to like about this book! So many reasons to keep reading in the series...