Lord and Lady Spy

Lord and Lady Spy - Shana Galen Fun read, but... the book reads a lot like a TV series. Smythe and Smythe, huh? If it weren't for the front cover, it's too easy to picture Brad Pitt and Angeline Jolie in "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", albeit there are more differences in the plot and characters than it might sound like. Because Lord and Lady Smythe are, indeed, spies, and neither knows that the other is a spy - not even after 5+ years of marriage. Except it seems that neither has been around much in all those years of marriage, and neither seems to wonder what life the other was living while he or she was gallivanting around the Continent in search of Napoleon and English traitors.We do learn that Agent Saint (Sophia) and Agent Wolf (Adrian) know about the other's secret spy identity. Wolf thinks that Saint is a man, however. And both spies are now out in the cold, because Napoleon is finally captured, and there's not much need for spies with Napoleon under wraps. So when the Prime Minister offers them both the chance to solve the mystery of his brother's murder, with the prize being that the first one to reveal the murderer gets his or her spy job back, Sophia and Adrian find themselves pitted against one another for the only thing that either of them has felt any passion for in ages. Except that they're both in uncomfortable proximity to one another. And they're now becoming aware of the other's true strengths and feelings.And in all of this, we learn that the two had a passionate intimate relationship that was dulled after Sophia had three miscarriages. Her heart is broken, and she wants children, but she's been so afraid to try again that she shut Adrian out of her bedroom almost 1 year ago.This silly, frothy book tries to be more than it is, which it probably could be if it would stop trying so hard to be a TV series. Sophia and Adrian, as characters and a couple, have lots of possibility. But the author is too busy getting them "busy". The two of them seem completely ridiculous rather than professional when they attempt to investigate and interrogate suspects. They both seem so inept even when the author is attempting to show us what a great TEAM they make because of their complimentary skills. It's all about the titillation of their rediscovery of each other, their marriage, and the sex lives, with a bit of mystery thrown in for good measure.I haven't read any other books by this author, although I see she has a few, including others about spies. I'm assuming (bad, I know) that "Lord and Lady Spy" is supposed to be the 1st of a new series... but I haven't done any research to confirm that yet.It's not that it's a bad book, it's a fun, easy, fluff, guilty pleasure read. It's just that this book COULD BE so much more than it is. I'll check out a few more books by this author, too. Perhaps this "first book" is just mired in re-establishing the marriage and relationship - perhaps there's hope. We'll see.