London Calling (Susanna and the Spy)

London Calling (Susanna and the Spy) - Anna Elliott Well... I was enchanted with Susanna in the first book, "Susanna and the Spy". But the British Nancy Drew stretched my limits in this second book.Susanna is now engaged to Lord James Ravenwood. She knows that he's a spy for the Crown, and while he's supposed to be in Darbyshire, she realizes that he's really in London when she receives a snotty letter from her snotty aunt Sophia tattling that she saw James at Almack's with a very pretty woman, dancing quite closely. Susanna doesn't suspect James is being unfaithful; rather she suspects that he's on another mission and didn't tell her. She's getting letters from him almost daily posted from Darbyshire. So Susanna contacts her dear aunt Ruth to take her to London and find out what James is up to.Which is all well and good, but really... does Susanna have the right to show up and interfere? She stumbles too many times into dangerous situations, ventures out alone at night, and puts herself and James in almost constant danger by her desire to "help" him with his mission. Even though she manages to "rescue" James a time or two and she does provide him with information and access to suspects, Susanna manages to blunder just about everything, usually ending up falling and hitting her head, only for us to hear James exclaim, "Susanna! Oh God!"What was charming in book 1 wasn't so charming in book 2. In book 1, she was in a rural area and near relatives. In book 2, she's in London - a much bigger, darker, more dangerous place. Wandering about alone in the dead of night isn't good. And Susanna's interrogation techniques aren't all that hot - she usually gives away as much as she gets, and she manages to turn the heat up on James, signalling his enemies as to his real identity.I really wanted to like this book, but I really, really wanted a bit more reality. Susanna is too good... too Mary Sue. She's too understanding of James' missions and too eager to help. And for all the kissing that goes on in this book, there could have been a scene or two of real passion - even if the author chose to fade out rather than give us details. Susanna and James find themselves in bedrooms and on sofas alone, at night, and all they can do is kiss. And James is constantly being hurt! It seems Susanna's nursing skills are called on with each encounter.So... I can't like this book as well as the 1st. And I doubt I'll continue on with Susanna and James.