First Case

First Case - Roger Stelljes I *seriously* hate when I finish typing a review, only to do a mysterious set of keystrokes that somehow push me back in my browsing history... which completely removes my review!!! OK, breathe!Think I found a new series to follow... the 2nd book in this series was offered as a free ebook on a site I get a lot of freebies from. So, as usual, I looked into the book and its reviews, discovered it to be part of a series that looked interesting, and bought the whole series. (Yes, I know, that's the idea of offering the freebie, right?) But see, I'm a stickler for starting at the beginning of a series if at all possible; I hate reading book #3 and finding out about something that I wouldn't have known if I'd started at book #1... or book # .5, in this case.The main character, Michael "Mac" McRyan is a 30-something lawyer turned policeman turned recent detective. This is his first case as a detective. (Duh, the name!) Mac comes from a line of policemen, including his famous detective father. Mac decided he wanted to pursue the family business from the lawyer side, and he was about to go into private practice when two of his cousins, both policemen, were killed in the line of duty. Mac put aside his law career and became a policeman.He's now paired with Richard Lich (known as "Dick Lick" to most), a veteran detective who has a bit extra around the middle and 2 bad divorces behind him. Dick is OK with working with Mac and even letting him take the lead, at times. In fact, everyone seems to like Mac, and it's not all because of his father or the family; I appreciated that.The homicide victim is a young associate at a big law firm, who's known for two things: the hours he bills and the women he... ahem. The guy doesn't care if what the relationship status is of the women he "dates", since the dates focus strictly on one thing. So there are a lot of potential suspects.I really like that the author doesn't "cheat" by keeping a key piece of evidence hidden or only talked about, as in, "the detective balked when he saw X", and if we don't know what "X" is, there's no way we can figure out whodunnit. Sure, there are plenty of red herrings and twists, even in this novella. But the readers discover things in almost real-time to Mac and his partner's discoveries. There is every opportunity to "solve" the whodunnit at the same time or slightly before. I really like that!And I especially like the dead lawyer's catch phrase about "using everything tool in his toolbox" and how that plays into the solution. Very clever!My only nit is more like a puzzlement to me. See, I spent from 9-18 growing up in rural Minnesota, which is now pretty much a suburb of the Twin Cities, even though the area is located 1 hour north. I grew up as a military brat and then as a police brat. So I *know* that Minnesota and the Twin Cities are made up mostly of Germans and Swedes; yet the police force in this series seems to be made up mostly of Irish. OK, yes, things run in families. And perhaps it's only because of who is mentioned in the books, but I seem to be missing the Germans and Swedes on the force? Silly little thing. I don't mind that Mac is Irish, or that his father and family are mostly cops and retired cops. Or that they run the local cop bar. All that makes sense. I just wondered how the Chief and several of the "key" policemen seem to be Irish in a predominantly German and Swedish place?Not a big deal, really - like I said, more like a puzzlement, especially since the author's last name appears to be Scandinavian in origin. But it can't be easy to write about your home town, try to avoid "Mary Sue-ing", and keep everyone happy. So it's a pass.Definitely interested in this series.