If I Were You (Inside Out Trilogy, #1)

If I Were You (Inside Out Trilogy, #1) - Lisa Renee Jones Re-reading, 'cuz I just (finally) got book 2, and I felt lost.Quick comment: I'm annoyed at the main character, Sara. On this 2nd read, it seems like she's fake, knowing what I do about her upbringing and all. It's like Ms. Jones started her out naive and lower middle-class and then decided that didn't quite fit... so voila! Let's give her a powerful, controlling CEO ex-lover and an upper class, controlling father. Oh yeah, and lots of money, if she'd just use it.OK, to be fair, there is some foreshadowing and mentions of her father, Michael Knight my personal choice for Rebecca's mysterious master, and hints of money. Except that Sara seems so whiny and naive and "wide-eyed" at all the wealth and splendor of the gallery and guys like Mark and Chris... just doesn't sit well on this second read. IMO, Sara wouldn't be bowled over by feeling "out of their league"; it's enough and OK that she's bowled over by chemistry - why ruin it with such insecurity? Obviously, Sara is insecure. But... then there's that almost head-spin change part-way through the book.Trying to reconcile it as I continue to read.=================1st read: Oct 20123.5 - maybe 4 starsOK, I read it. I was skeptical because it was touted as "50 Shades" meets "Basic Instinct"... and I'm tired of any contemporary romance with a hint of steam being compared to [b:Fifty Shades of Grey|10818853|Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)|E.L. James|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1368413518s/10818853.jpg|15732562] and the 3-book series.So... what I discovered is a more mature, grown-up version of 50 Shades. One that is much more palatable. Neither character in the romance is a young nit-wit or a raging control freak. They don't spout the same lines over and over and over again at one another.This book is more subtle... more silk... more seduction. It pulls you in gradually. And while it might be predictable (despite the fact that books 2 & 3 aren't out yet), the story and the characters are just intriguing enough... just sexy enough to hold your attention and leave you wanting more. Like when you finish eating a really, really good chocolate - that last little hint left on your tongue is so satisfying, and yet, you know that you'll eventually want more. You don't *need* more, and you won't *demand* more, but you know that when the chance comes to eat that next chocolate, you'll be more than ready for it -- welcome it eagerly, and devour it just slowly enough to savor.The description of the book doesn't quite do it justice, because the main character is somewhat obsessed with the writer of the journals, Rebecca, but as a consequence of trying to track Rebecca's whereabouts down, she becomes enmeshed in Rebecca's world... perhaps her life. So there's a sense of urgency, yet a sense of surreal, as the main character tries to navigate the maze of the art world and the characters in Rebecca's life.Yes, there is quite a bit of suspension of disbelief on the reader's part. But not in such an obvious or crass way as in 50 Shades. And the characters are much more likeable, even though the guy's penthouse is almost too reminiscent of Mr. Grey's place. Except this guy paints, rather than play the piano.